Scarcity of energy resources, climate change concerns, high oil prices generate governmental and commercial interest and incentives in exploration of renewable energy sources. Climate law is a new inter-disciplinary area of law combining public international law, commercial law, environmental law, finance law, tax law.
Growing concerns about climate change and regulation of greenhouse gas emissions have presented challenges and opportunities to business. In response, AstapovLawyers has developed the Environment and Climate Change Practice to provide our clients with business-oriented approaches to energy and climate change matters including the Kyoto Protocol market-based mechanisms: Emissions Trading known as the 'Carbon Market', 'Clean Development Mechanism' (CDM) and 'Joint Implementation' (JI).
The Environment and Climate Change Practice of AstapovLawyers is focused on providing legal services to clients operating in the global carbon markets, GhG Markets, fossil fuels exploration, clean technology, renewable energy and energy efficiency projects development.
Drawing on its collaborative culture and broad experience in environmental regulation and emissions trading, project development, finance, and national and international energy practices, we have assembled a group of lawyers to provide a broad array of services required to advise clients in climate change regulation and renewable energy.
Our lawyers have the capability to assist clients in developing business opportunities in greenhouse gas emission reduction credit (or ‘carbon credit’) projects and carbon credit trading markets, and the growing demand for renewable energy produced from such technologies as biomass, geothermics, wind, solar and water. Our lawyers have developed an expertise that applies a range of legal disciplines to the complex emerging climate markets and the international laws under which they are governed.
Our services among others include:
• Advising on international, regional and domestic climate law, and energy law and policy
• Advising on and structuring of early climate change projects, including drafting and negotiating of ERPAs, investment contracts and agreements
• Advising on regulatory requirements as well as construction aspects of energy-related projects
• Structuring on renewable energy joint investment projects, including drafting and negotiating of joint venture agreements, investment contracts, VER, CER, AAU units sale purchase agreements
• Communication with state authorities and governmental relations support
• General negotiation and transaction support
• Dispute resolution and energy litigation